Friday, April 8, 2011

Old red Couch, New Blue headboard

This is what happens when Kalen goes out of town and I have homework and cleaning that I need to do. I find a project to tackle.  For Christmas this year, Kalen and I bought ourselves some new living room furniture.  Out with the old and in with the new! We gave one of our couches to a friend who needed one, and the other couch had seen better days so we decided to just get rid of it.  To get it out of the way, we moved it down into our storage room on the first floor, where we could just take it out the front door, load it up in a friend's truck, and take it to the dumpster.  Well, as we normally do, we've procrastinated a bit and that couch has been sitting in our storage room since then.  And I'm tired of looking at it, although is has been useful in a sense because Kalen decided that we should use the cushions to block off the doorway and keep the dog out of that room. But other than that, the couch is just in the way, and has to go. SO instead of hauling it down to the dumpster....I decided that I'll use it! For what? A headboard! Yea I know what you're thinking.... How is the heck  is that going to work?  That's kind of what I was thinking before I started, but once I get it in my head that I am going to do something....it gets done :) So here we go!

This is what I started with. The old red couch with no legs.


I took off the slip cover and saved it for the next piece of ugly furniture that comes our way.



Next, I flipped that bad boy over and went to town tearing the bottom and fabric off.  If you've ever wondered, couches are held together by staples....thousands of them!


I wasn't sure what to do with the springs, so I left them alone

Moooooore staples!


Lilly was my little helper.  She also felt the need to prove to me that those cushions do not keep her out of that room. She just hops right over them.

This is the back part of the couch, and most likely what I'll use for the headboard.  I also saved the fabric that was stretched across it because it was pretty sturdy.

Something else that couches are made with . . . GLUE. I had to chisel the old glue off so that I could pry the pieces apart.  The wood was old so most things that I pryed ended up in pieces.


.....did you really think I'd get through this without bleeding? This would later require a tetanus shot because when I woke up the next morning, my knuckle was was swollen and didn't want to bend.


So maybe I made a little bit of a mess .....


Break time! After all the blood and sweat from getting that stupid couch apart, I decided I needed some 3 cheese Nachos from Qdoba!

Now for the easy part....stretch and staple! I took the old foam padding from the couch and stapled it to the frame of the headboard to cover up the old staples that were sticking out. Then I stretched and stapled the fabric I saved over the frame.


 I found these curtains at IKEA years ago in the "as is" bin and got them for $4 ! Over the years this fabric has come in handy and I love that it was so cheap! I'm kind of an IKEA freak.


I couldn't decide which way I wanted the stripes to go.  I ended up going Vertical because I didn't want so much green in it. 


Same as before, I just stretched and stapled the fabric to the frame. . . and Lilly had to be right in the middle of it all


FINALLY done!


Now I just have to figure out of I want to anchor it to the bed frame, or to the wall....overall I'm please with the outcome.  However, I would not recommend taking a couch apart if you want to make a headboard...go get some plywood and it won't take nearly as long, and there will probably be less blood.



At least this tetanus should cover me for the next ridiculous idea that I have :)

No comments:

Post a Comment