Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Projects


I love my projects! I haven't really started on any good ones this year, unless you count painting some flower pots and replanting and planting some flowers. Some things on my agenda this year are to, finish re staining my dresser that I started last year. I did the side table, and the drawers, but the base was too big for me to get downstairs, and the weather go too cold to keep the windows open so I had to wait.
This is the finished product of my side table

Another thing I was all about last year was painting!  Since we can't really do much to our townhouse, because it's rented, I thought why not paint :) We subleased from friends that had already done a fabulous job of coloring our humble abode but I just wanted to make a few changes.
I stared with painting our Mexican restaurant orange kitchen wall.....
Rita and Stephanie came through with the assist since there would be plenty of priming to do before we painted it the new color that I picked out.

After what seemed like FOREVER we finally got the orange covered up! Now for the new color :)
GOLD! Surprisingly most of the guys that had seen the wall before preferred the orange to the gold, BUT...they don't have to live in the Mexican restaurant so their opinion doesn't matter :)


Viola! The finished product! To appreciate this yellow you must know that the wall adjacent to it, in our living room is a deep teal color. The yellow really warmed it up and made the contrast less bold. Now I don't feel like I should be eating Taco's for every meal :)

When the previous tenants moved out, they left us all the left over paint that they had from their various projects around the house.  SO....when I got bored I'd take what paint I had and well....start painting things!
One of these spur of the moment projects was my bedroom. I decided I needed a green wall!
It was a rather compulsive decision but I LOVE my green wall! Since then I've refinished the furniture in the room and made it darker, I found a nice little wall hanging with candles that hangs over the bed, and I've covered the bed with a chocolate comforter.

This room happens to sit on the sunny side of the house, and boy does it get warm in there in the summer!  I went to a place called Two Sisters in Mt. Sterling, Ky to pick up some cheap curtain rods and curtains.  I wasn't a fan of Two Sisters at all. It was disorganized, no one was willing to help, and everything in there smelled like smoke.  I'd heard of another wholesale place just down the road called Rudy's.  I like this place a lot better.  They didn't have as much junk, and what they did have was quality stuff.  They do require cash or check payments though so if you plan on going on a shopping spree bring some cash!  They have comforter sets, and curtain rods, and curtains, and furniture, and jewelry boxes, and all kinds of wonderful random stuff!

I got these floor to ceiling double lined curtains and the extra long curtain rod for $15 at Rudy's! How exciting is that! Pretty exciting...

Another random project that I decided to do because I was bored and had a little extra paint left over from the living room walls was my little white kitchen stand.  I've had this thing forever, I think it came from IKEA once upon a time.  I've used it as a kitchen stand, a microwave stand, a TV stand... you name it.  Right now it's in my kitchen, and it's white, and starting to get scratched and ugly...SO....I decided to Paint it :)
I painted it with a brush first, and where it has a laminate finish, and i didn't sand it down before i started it left brush marks. So...and easy solution to that was to dab it with a paper towel to give it some texture and get rid of those lines.

Little Lilly even got in on the action  :)

I am pretty happy with the finished product.  Since it wasn't sanded or primed the paint scratches off pretty easily but that's OK. The next stop for this stand is the dumpster anyway.  I figured I'll use it until we move again and make it pretty while I have it.


Along with attempting to grow things I can eat, those were my projects last summer.  I'm sure there will be plenty more this summer if I can find the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment